To set up Team Foundation Version Control (TFVC) on your dev machine, you just need to create a workspace and then add your code.
Before you start you have to create a team project as the following:
- Connect to the server and team project collection where you want to create your team project.
You can access Team Explorer for free by installing Visual Studio Community or any other Visual Studio version.
You must connect from a client that is at the same version level as TFS. That is, you must connect to TFS 2015 from a version of Visual Studio 2015.
2. Name the team project. Don’t specify more than 64 characters.
And, note that after you’ve created a team project, you can’t change its name.
3. Choose a process template from the packed with TFS of your choice such as Agile, Scrum and CMMI. (as I’m a Scrum guy, I will choose Scrum🙂 )
4. Choose your source control system, either Git distributed repositories or TFVC, one centralized repo.
5. The team project collection is configured to support a SharePoint project portal, So you have the option to create a SharePoint portal for your team project documents, collaboration and reporting.
6. Now you are done, click finish to complete the wizard.
7. When you’re finished, you can see your team project in Team Explorer.
Now lets create a workspace and get the code🙂
From Visual Studio, go to the Team Explorer Connect page (Keyboard: Ctrl + 0, C) and then connect to the team project.
(If the team project you want to open is not listed, choose Select Team Projects and then connect to the team project.)
Map the team project to a folder on your dev machine.
Map the workspace and get your code.
After creating the workspace lets add the code to the version control ..Yummy🙂
Create a new solution under version control
If you’ve got an idea for a new app, you can use version control from the start. Create a new code project (Keyboard: Ctrl + Shift + N), and add it to TFVC version control:
When the Choose Source Control dialog box appears, choose Team Foundation Version Control.
When you are ready, check in your changes (Keyboard: Ctrl + 0, P).
In my next post, I will write about connecting the team to Team Foundation Server 2015 cross different platforms.